Dr. Alioune Ngom
angom ta cs tod uwindsor tod ca
My Erdös number is 3
! … Home Page is Under Construction … !
Brief Biography Alioune Ngom has a B.Sc. in Computer Science from the University du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres (Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada, in 1992) under the supervision of Dr. Corina Reischer, and a M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, in 1995 and 1998), under the supervision of Dr. Ivan Stojmenovic. He joined the School of Computer Science at the University of Windsor in 2000 as an Assistant Professor, and have been appointed since 2004 as an Associate Professor. He was appointed as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Lakehead University (Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada), 1998-2000, prior to joining the University of Windsor. During his short stay at Lakehead University, he co-founded Genesis Genomics Inc. in 1999; a biotechnology company specialized in the analysis of mitochondrial genome and the design of biomarkers for the early detection of cancer. His main research interests include but not limited to Computational Intelligence (CI) and Machine Learning (ML) methods. He has a special interest in the applications of CI/ML methods to Computational Biology and Bioinformatics problems, such as: microarray analysis, protein analysis, oligonucleotide selection, bio-image analysis, and gene regulatory network analysis. He also has interests in applying CI/ML to such areas as: multiple-valued logic algebras and circuits, wireless mobile networks, scheduling, grid-computing, and uncertainty modeling.
1. Spring 2014: 03-60-140 – Introduction to Algorithms and Programming I
2. Winter 2014: 03-60-266 – Computer Architecture II: Microprocessor Programming
3. Winter 2014: 03-60-592 – Selected Topics in Machine Learning
4. Winter 2013: 03-60-265 – Computer Architecture I: Digital Design
5. Winter 2013: 03-60-592 – Selected Topics in Network System Biology
6. Winter 2012: 03-60-558 – Computational Molecular Biology
Resources for Graduate Students
1. The Best Method for Presentation of Research Results in Theses and Papers, by I. Stojmenovic
2. How to Write Research Articles in Computer Science, by I. Stojmenovic
3. A Good Method to Prepare and Use Transparencies for Research Presentations, by V. Milutinovic
4. The Best Method for Presentation of Research Results, by V. Milutinovic
I have opening positions for undergraduate research projects, and for master’s and doctoral students. Interested students may contact me about potential research projects or theses.
1. Dean’s Special Recognition Award: In recognition of Excellence in Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity, Faculty of Science, University of Windsor, 2010.
2. Best Overall Paper Award: L. Wang, A. Ngom, R. Gras and L. Rueda, “Evolution Strategy with Greedy Probe Selection Heuristics for the Non-Unique Oligonucleotide Probe Selection Problem”, The 2008 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, CIBCB 2008, September 15-17, Sun Valley, Idaho, USA, ISBN 978-1-4244-1779-7, 2008.
1. Madhu Chetty, Alioune Ngom, and Elena Marchiori (Managing Editors), Special Issue on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, Neurocomputing, Volume 73, Issues 13-15, August, Elsevier, 2010.
2. Corrado Priami, Falko Dressler, Ozgur B. Akan, and Alioune Ngom (Guest Editors), Transactions on Computational Systems Biology X, Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics 5410, VII, 197 p., Springer, Softcover, ISBN: 978-3-540-92272-8, December 2008.
3. Madhu Chetty, Alioune Ngom, and Shandar Ahmad (Editors), Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics: Third IAPR International Conference, PRIB 2008, Melbourne, Australia; October 15-17, Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics 5265, XVI, 472 p., Softcover, ISBN: 978-3-540-88434-7, 2008.
4. Madhu Chetty, Alioune Ngom, Shandar Ahmad, and Shyh W. Teng (Editors), Proceedings of the Third IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, PRIB 2008, Melbourne, Australia; October 15-17, ISBN 878-0-7326-2226-8, 2008.
… … … coming soon
Organizations where Positions Held
… … … coming soon
Research Grants and Sponsored Projects
… … … coming soon
… … … comning soon
Last edited on May 08 2010